Musée d'Orsay: The site

The site

Palais d'Orsay© Musée d'Orsay - Fonds Urphot - DR

The rue de Lille was once the central lane of the garden belonging to Henri IV's famous queen, Marguerite de Valois. On her death in 1615, the property was sold by lots, and private mansions continued to build up the neighbourhood, while on the banks of the Seine a port known as the Grenouillière served as a resting place for lumber barges and other cargo. The construction of the Quai d'Orsay began in 1708 near the Pont Royal, and was completed a century later under Napoleon I's Empire. The aristocratic vocation of the neighbourhood was already well established at the end of the 18th century, when the Hôtel de Salm (today the Musée de la Légion d'honneur) was built, between 1782 and 1788.

1898 Image autorisée à Françoise Le Coz Musée d'Orsay par Françoise Le Coz
 Detail de l'image : 
 Numéro d'oeuvre : RMN249511
 Cote cliché : 06-501070
 N° d?inventaire : PHO1986-124-9
 Fonds : Photographies
 Titre : Construction gare du Quai d'Orsay et du Chemin de Fer de Paris
 Description : derniers débris de la Cour des Comptes
 10 juillet 1898
 Auteur : Anonyme
 Crédit photographique : (C) Photo RMN - ©Hervé Lewandowski
 Période : 19e siècle
 Date : 1898
 Hauteur : 0.119 m.
 Longueur : 0.168 m.
 Localisation : Paris, musée d'Orsay
 Conditions d'utilisation : Musée d'Orsay - Françoise Le Coz - Nouveau site Web - 29/11/2006 - Type de facturation : x Achat InternetSupport : Internettype : Site InstitutionnelTerritoire : Monde toutes languesDurée : 2 ans - JPEG - 2048X3072 pixels 
 © RMN / Réunion des Musées Nationaux
AnonymousDemolition of the ruins of the Cour des Comptes© RMN-Grand Palais-Grand Palais-Grand Palais (Musée d'Orsay) / Hervé Lewandowski
During the 19th century, two buildings stood upon the site of the future Orsay station: the Cavalry barracks and the Palais d'Orsay, built between 1810 and 1838 successively by Jean-Charles Bonnard and Jacques Lacornée. Although the Palais had originally been planned for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it eventually housed the Cour des Comptes (Court of Accounts) and the Conseil d'Etat (State Council). During the violent upheaval known as the Paris Commune in 1871, the entire neighbourhood was burnt down. For thirty years, the ruins of the Palais d'Orsay served as reminders of the horrors of civil war.

Enlarge font size Reduce font size Tip a friend Print