Photography at the Musée d'Orsay. 20 years of acquisitions: 1986-2006

ARCHIVE
2007

Charles Nègre
 (1820-1880)
 Le Stryge [Gargoyle]
 1853
 Salted paper print from a dry waxed paper negative
 H. 32.5; W. 23 cm
 Paris, Musée d'Orsay
Charles NègreGargoyle© RMN-Grand Palais (Musée d'Orsay) / Hervé Lewandowski
From 1979 to its opening in December 1986, the Musée d'Orsay had special funds to build up, ex nihilo, a collection of old photographs, ranging from the early days of the medium in 1839 to the end of the First World War. Since the museum opened, the collection has steadily increased.

This exhibition in the permanent photography gallery aims to highlight the richness of the collection with a selection of the museum's principal gifts, loans and acquisitions.

Daguerrotypes taken in Paris in June 1848, scenes of Egypt from the 1850s by J.B. Greene or Felix Teynard, calotypes by Charles Nègre, seascapes by Gustave le Gray, a collection of Felix Nadar portraits, a series of photographs by Lewis Carroll, an Atget album devoted to the Saint Séverin quarter, a collection by Paul Burty Haviland, a pictorialist and member of the Photo Secession group, an album of Baron de Meyer to commemorate the ballet Afternoon of a faun, choreographed and performed by Nijinsky, original proofs by Alfred Stieglitz, autochromes by the Lumière brothers or Gimpel, and so on. This selection of works, while highlighting the development of photographic technique and the social customs it reflects, aims, above all, to emphasise the diversity of visual creation in this field.


Curator


Françoise Helibrun, Senior Curator, Musée d'Orsay.

6 March - 27 May 2007
Musée d'Orsay

Photography Gallery

Admission with the museum ticket


Enlarge font size Reduce font size Tip a friend Print
Facebook
Google+DailymotionYouTubeTwitter