The restoration of "L'Atelier du peintre" [The Painter’s Studio] by Gustave Courbet
L'Atelier du peintre [The Painter’s Studio] by Gustave Courbet (1855) is one of the major works conserved at the Musée d’Orsay in terms of its subject, its place in the history of art and its monumental size. Already fragile due to its complex material history, this masterpiece, which came into the national collections in 1920 through public subscription and the help of the Société des Amis du Louvre, was in need of restoration.
This was carried out in situ, in a glass enclosure where the restorers could work without interruption while allowing visitors to follow the process. This enclosure was sponsored by Saint-Gobain.